Wednesday 2 July 2014

ta-ta to tatami

It's now only a month until I leave, and time is flying by. About 6 weeks ago, all I wanted to do was get back to some home comforts. Now, I'm trying to hold on to each moment and each dear friend while I still can. Last week I turned 23, had a cocktail party my apartment is still recovering from, was offered and accepted a job back home, played in a taiko festival for about 900 people, was blindsided by conflicting emotions, tasted my first and last Joyfull meal, went to a jam sesh with some buddies. It's been a whirlwind that's not letting up, and while I can't wait to get home to the people and new things waiting there, I know it'll take a while to get used to the change of pace.

So, I'm trying to handle the business of packing up and taking off as naturally as possible, and the first step is sending home ahead all all the mementos and souvenirs I've picked up along the way. I'll most likely never be back and, before I pack up, I want to remember this apartment as it is - and also give my successor a sneak peek tour of where she'll be living. 

This is the entrance, where you leave shoes and change into slippers. 

And this is what you see walking in

To the right is the bathroom corner


And straight ahead is one of the tatami rooms 



Unfortunately I'll be giving the stacks of records and player back to my neighbour! 



This is in the hallway to the left of the door


If you turn left you're in the wee kitchen





Keep on going and you're in the second tatami room



(The doors on the right lead back into the kitchen, the doors on the left lead into the other tatami room)


The kitchen door leads out onto the balcony 



When you come in the front door, do a u-turn left to go into the bedroom





And that's it! Hopefully this is useful to my successor in imagining life here. 
I never thought I'd be able to live alone, but there have been very few moments this year when I've felt lonely. 

No comments:

Post a Comment